Thursday, January 11, 2007

Survivors Guide to VNS: Part 3 – Does it work?

This is probably the most asked question about VNS that I get.

Will the VNS cure my seizures?
I think that most people simply want a Yes or No answer as to whether it completely stopped you from having seizures. Unfortunately it is not that simple. The VNS will not cure you of epilepsy, but it can help control seizures or reduce the intensity and after-effects. The level of effectiveness varies between persons.

The studies by Cyberoics indicate that most people take anywhere from 3 months to a year before they get meaningful results from the device. In addition, many people report increasing effectiveness the longer they have the VNS.

Given all that, rephrasing the question would be the best way to get a meaningful answer. Instead of "Does it work?" ask, "What type of results are you getting from your VNS so far?"

Answer:
So far, the VNS has drastically reduced the intensity and severity of my seizures. I have had mine a year now and it has also reduced the number of seizures I have. I have high hopes that the device will bring additional improvement over time.

No comments: