Monday, July 30, 2007

Harry Potter Full Review


Part 1 of 7
I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows late last night and after reading it, I felt drawn to write a "no spoilers" review of the book and the series (in seven parts of course). The final installment in this long running quest is definitely the best, but most importantly, it is the capstone of an amazing tale.

How good is it?
Earlier in last week I heard tales of people at my office finishing the book within 2 days of their purchase. I assumed that they must be die-hard Potter fans with nothing else to do. I am not one, but I borrowed a copy from one of those aforementioned die-hard fans on Wednesday and read a chapter then and another one on Thursday. By Friday night I had reached around page 100. Saturday evening I had reached 350. Sometime Sunday afternoon, I picked it up again without the intention of finishing it that day, but there is a tipping point in the novel around the 400 page mark where you simply can't stop reading. Rowling, after penning a few thousand pages of Potter, has finally mastered the art of pacing a novel, and for the next 349 pages it is non-stop edge-of-your-seat nail-biting action. So good that I would say it is absolutely worth reading the previous 3 thousand pages just so you can savor reading those last 349.

There won't be any spoilers in the review, as most of us Muggles who are fans of the book take their cue from Potter and are respectful... but, our patience only lasts so long. My co-worker summed it up perfectly this morning when she shouted over her cube to fellow readers in surrounding cubes: "What's wrong with you people? You've had a little over a week to read the book. What's taking you so long?"

If you just want the bare bones review of the 7th novel: 5 out of 5 stars. If you want to find out why the Harry Potter series is one of the greatest tales ever spun, I'll be covering that in the next six parts.

No comments: