Wednesday, May 24, 2006

EpiQ Teen

EpiQ Teen is the first epilepsy site I have found that is dedicated to teenagers. It has a lot of interesting and helpfull information tailored towards teenagers who have just discovered that they have epilepsy.

One of the articles I found most interesting was advice on who and how to tell about your epilepsy. This is the article:

Telling others about your epilepsy

Teens are faced with many issues, such as dating, and what you friends think of you. Some even feel they have to change to be part of a group or fit in. But you don't have to feel like you don't want to stand out because you have epilepsy because-
As a teen, you're dealing with lots of issues - like dating or what your friends think about you. You may feel like you have to change who you are to fit in - just be part of a group. You don't want to stand out or be different because you have epilepsy -but epilepsy doesn't define who you are - each person in our world is unique and it's just one of many special things about you! And differences are what make the world an interesting place! Who? And When?

After finding out you have epilepsy you may think-Who do I tell? And -When's the best time? The people who care most about you and who you see more often will want to know about your epilepsy - family, friends, roommates, neighbours, and co-workers are great sources of support.

Ask these questions when you're trying to decide:

* Who loves me and wants me to live the best possible life?
* Who do I see most often
* Who will notice changes that signal the start of my seizures or a reaction to my medication
* Who can help me with small or errands that may not be safe for me to do by myself?
* Who can I rely on in an emergency to help, check my medication record and contact my family doctor?
* Who can I trust with a key to my home to come in and check on me?

No comments: