Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Memoirs of a Seizure

On second thought, a more appropriate title for this post might be NO Memoirs of a Seizure…

I was thinking back to what I remember from each time I have had a tonic-clonic seizure and it is pretty empty. I wonder if the brain is too occupied trying to deal with the extra electrical activity that it is unable to process input from the senses… or maybe it never transfers that information into long term memory (LTM). In any case, I usually remember what has happened from about 10 – 20 minutes before the seizure and from about 20 minutes after the seizure so at least a 30 minute chunck of time is simply not there.

One of the odd things about it is that I never believe that I have had a Tonic-Clonic / Grand-Mal seizure because I have no memory of them. I don’t know what one feels like, nor what I do during the seizure. I only have 2nd hand reports of the event.

So when I awake from a seizure and their is someone telling me about it, my mind can't grasp that as it has no memory... no memoirs of a seizure..

No comments: