Wednesday, January 04, 2006

VNS v. MRI

Once a VNS device is implanted, one can no longer get a standard MRI of the head or upper chest as the MRI may cause the leads to the Vagus nerve to become hot. As I had not had an MRI since my brain surgery in 1997, I decided to have one done to check and see if there was any other stuff in my head that might be causing my epilepsy... possibly something the doctors missed. Thankfully, there was nothing out of place. I did get some great MRI pics out of the deal though. Below is a slice of my brain... straight down the center. I will try to post more. Click on the image to enlarge:

3 comments:

Mike G. said...

I've been meaning to tell you this is an amazing blog. You have no idea how many people will be helped by your journals. We're all praying for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks! When I started researching the VNS Therapy, I noted that there is not a lot of information on the subject (relative to most internet topics) and only a few blogs that even mention it. So I thought I might gather all the research I have done and am doing and put it on this site. I hope it may be able to help someone with decisions regarding their epilepsy.

Unknown said...

Yep! Check out that Cerebellum!