Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Severe Seizure sends Scott to the Hospital

Scott had a severe tonic-clonic seizure at 4:00 this morning. This seizure included many "firsts" which I have noted below:

1) The seizure lasted a full 45 minutes. This is very unusual as Scott's seizures usually last fewer than 5 minutes.

2) During the seizure, Scott let out an excruciating howl as if he were in intense pain. In the many seizures I have witnessed, I have never hear Scott make this sound.

3) Scott's legs were rigid throughout the seizure. I found this to be unusual because Scott's legs are usually bent as his usual tendancy is to collapse just before the clonic phase of the seizure begins.

4) Once the clonic phase of the seizure ended, Scott took several deep, jagged breaths and stopped breathing - which is usual for him. What happened next, however, is unusual. Usually Scott returns to normal breathing. However, this morning he again took several deep, jagged breaths.

5) It took Scott an hour after the seizure ended to recover and answer even the simplest of questions - even though I swiped his VNS magnet 4 different times over the course of 1 hour and 45 minutes. This is quite unusual as Scott normally recovers quickly and can answer very simple questions after only a few minutes.

We are not sure what triggered this seizure. Scott had eaten well the day before and had taken his medication on time. He did not seem stressed, worried or upset about anything. He was a bit tired last night and went to bed at 10:30 pm but he was sleeping peacefully when I turned in at 11:00 pm. Perhaps Scott is still not sleeping well or getting the much needed rest he needs. Or maybe it was caused by the Depakote ER he started taking 3 months ago. Or maybe still the seizure was the result of the Lamictal leaving his system. (Scott had been reducing his Lamictal intake over the past 2-1/2 months and completely stopped taking Lamictal approx. 2 weeks ago.)

I called The Epilepsy Institute at 8:00 am this morning and requested that Scott be seen. We arrived there shortly before 10:00 am so that Scott could have an EEG performed. Nurse Cindy also took several vials of blood to see what they could tell us. While we were in the office, Dr. Dean called from the hospital where she was making her rounds and stated that she wanted Scott admitted to the hospital for observation and further testing. At this time, we believe that Scott will remain in the hospital until the end of the week. I'll continue to post updates on his condition.

As always, thank you for your love and support.

No comments: